After being sacked from my band, I found myself 10 years in the past to redo my life and save my idol - Chapter 8: Hakoniwa Rock Show

 Chapter 8: Hakoniwa Rock Show

Link to Original Chapter: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n8526hq/8/

_____________________

"Hey, it seems like you're here today too after."


After school, I immediately head to the desolate shopping district to meet Shigure. I was worried that the lonesome girl who sings by herself wouldn't be here today, but it seems like I was worried over nothing. She's wearing the same hoodie over her uniform as yesterday. Slung over her shoulder is the Yamaha acoustic guitar. She's as unapproachable as ever, but for me, it feels comforting. I mean hey, I have her all to myself. That's a major plus.


"You're here again?"


"Of course. Why wouldn't I?"


"I don't get you... Well, if you want to hear me, I guess I can't stop you."


"Stop being so down on yourself. I really enjoy listening to your singing, you know."


Shigure, instead of giving her usual exasperated replies, stood in silence, completely dumbfounded. I guess she isn't used to people praising her. 


I just want her to be happy, but given her backstory, I'm not shocked this is how she responds. I'll help her build her self confidence and with time, things should get better.


"And voila, I brought something cool today!"


"Cool? You mean that thing on your back?"


"Yep. With this, we should have more fun!"


I take off the cube case that's strapped on my back. Inside is a wooden box, resembling one of the stools from the art room.


"Ta-da! Whaddya think? Doesn't this just scream live acoustic performance?"


"Is that a.. cajon?"


"Damn right it is!"


The thing I prepared is a cajon, a percussion instrument. 


It looks like a stool and you can sit on top of it too. Playing is simple, all you need to do is tap your hands on one of the sides. It has a snappy on the inside. It's basically a vibrating wire that you can find in snare drums. The sound changes depending on how and where you hit the cajon, so it's a pretty handy instrument.


Carrying a whole drum set would be a big hassle, so many bands often use a cajon during acoustic performances. Lucky for me, I bought one online for myself. Pretty neat if I do say so myself.


"What are you going to use that for?"


"Glad you asked. I can use this so we can perform together. Let's have ourselves a jam session."


Her face tenses up. I'm sure she's a bit reluctant and fearful about performing with someone else. 


"That's not necessary..."


"But you know... we can sing some pretty good songs this way..."


"My songs are fine without that."


"I mean, I guess... but being a drummer myself, I always want to add in something for the rhythm."


I mean, even musicians who aren't drummers, tend to gravitate to the rhythm when listening to songs, whether it's intentional or not. Also, like, being able to sing with my idol, Shigure Narahara, is a dream come true. In my first life, I would have grovelled on the floor and thrown away all my money for an opportunity like this.


"Do what you like..."


"Really? Then let's just play a song together!"


I'm trembling with excitement. This just might be the happiest I've ever been playing music. I'd have no regrets if I just kicked the bucket right now. No, that's definitely overkill. 


I finish prepping the cajon as Shigure adjusts the capotasto to the second fret. She strums the G and Cadd9 chords to test the sound. As a big fan of Shigure, I know exactly what this means. Those two notes are the second capos for the start of the song "Shigure".


The song starts with a slow tempo, which makes Shigure's clear voice that more resonant. I play as few notes as possible to keep the rhythm so I won't be a stain to that beautiful voice. I'm an expert at creating arrangements that won't disrupt the singer.


My drumming skills were only average, so I would rack my brain trying to figure out how my average abilities could make a song ring. This is the result of all my efforts. 


I hear Shigure's powerful voice as the song enters the chorus from its original calmness. Just as the name of the song suggests, her voice is as strong as the torrential rain. However, her voice isn't just some violent force. It maintains its clarity throughout. This is Shigure's true skill at work here.


This is much more fun than singing by yourself. I hope I'm able to transmit these feelings of enjoyment to Shigure through my playing. Before I know it, the song comes to a close.


"Wasn't that just so much fun? Hey, come on, let's play the next song already."


I'm feeling all revved up, so no wonder I want to play another song already. But Shigure looks like she's not in agreement. She wants to say something, but stops herself before she says it.


"I'm going home now..."


"Why? Not feeling good?"


"Sure, we'll go with that."


Was it a bad idea to play a song together out of nowhere? I think back to everything I said, and I might have said some stuff that seems off putting. I guess I just didn't know when to stop. After reflecting, I think it's for the best if I stop pushing myself on her today.


"Sure. Then let's meet at the light music club welcome party on Friday."

"What? A welcome party for newcomers?"


It's a custom for the light music club to hold a welcome party for all the newcomers during every year around this time. Everyone introduces themselves and talks about what music they like. You can also search for band members, eat food, and just hang out. It's an event meant to capitalize on our youth.


"Haven't you heard? Well, that just means you really should come. You can eat candies and a lot of other goodies."


"Whatever, I don't really care..."


"Huh, you should at least go. One of the senior's family owns a cake shop and they bring over lots of cake. Shortcake, Mont blanc, you name it." 


I notice a slight reaction when I mention Mont blanc. Seems like the music magazines were right, she does indeed enjoy Mont blanc. It mentioned how she would eat Mont blanc to relieve stress between recording sessions.


That being said, the part about one of the senior's family owning a cake shop was a lie. But the "lots of cake" part is true though! I remember when I went in my first life, I had so much that my stomach felt like it could explode. It was delicious, so it was worth it.


"I-I'll think about it."


"Really!? Then, I'll see you there!"


I feel so happy hearing that. If things go well, I might really be able to form a band with her. With that, Shigure returns home. She's still in a bit of daze.


I notice a hint of embarrassment on her normally blank face. Well, maybe I'm just seeing things. 

________________________

Author's Note: Thank you so much for reading! If you could, it would be great if you rate this series five stars and book mark it! Thanks as always.


Also, the title for this chapter is named after Unison Square Garden's 箱庭ロック・ショー. It's a great song so please give it a listen!

________________________

Translator’s Note: Next chapter done! Seems like they had a fun jamming session together. Wonder how the protagonist will convince Shigure to change her fate.

Also please follow me on Twitter for any updates on this series and my translation projects generally.


August 20th update: Asper my most recent blog post, I will be going on hiatus and therefore, the translation for this series will be considered stalled.


Chapter 7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 16: Web of Deceit

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 30

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 29