Forever and Always, My Childhood Friend is the Cutest Girl in the World Chapter 24: My Childhood Friend and her Charm

Chapter 24: My Childhood Friend and her Charm

Link to Original Chapter: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n5894gb/24/


It was around 3 months after I first met Rin. 

"My eyes... they're definitely weird, aren't they?" 

It was after school in the library, and I was writing as usual when I heard Rin say that. I had no idea why Rin had suddenly said that. From birth, Rin's eyes were always pointy, which was the reason for her signature sharp stare. Her shyness basically stemmed from the fact that she was teased for her eyes. 

While at that time I didn't know, Rin was also bullied that day. Her classmates had said some mean stuff to her and that made her really depressed. Because I had no tact at all, I just said what was on my mind. 

"I don't think it's strange at all." 

Rin looked at me with round eyes as I continued. 

"I think they're actually pretty cute!" 

While I didn't know her situation at all then, I spoke the honest truth. Rin's change was immediate. The negative aura on her face vanished just like that. 

"Thank... you." 

With her head down, Rin's mouth relaxes a little. But, there was still a hint of sadness on her face. Seeing that, it was like getting a small fish bone stuck in my throat. I found myself trying to recall something. The memory of Rin crying by herself in the multi-purpose classroom jumped into my mind. 

That day, Rin never told me the reason why she was crying. I would ask her so many times, but each time she would give me a smile and say that everything was alright. I decided not to probe any further. 

I couldn't probe further. 

"Everything is alright" 

I didn't have enough courage to force my way in when she said those words and gave me that fleeting smile of hers. I also wasn't able to ask anything deeper than that. 

Thinking back on it, was a painful, bitter memory. At the very least, I wanted to help her so badly, so I vowed to change my actions for the better. 

And before I knew it, it was after school the next day. 

"Hey, I brought you this cool thing today!" 

"Cool thing?" 

Rin's eyes went all wide as I handed it over to her. 

"A... charm?" 

"Yeah! I bought it at the shrine yesterday." 

Some time ago, the memory of me talking to my mom flashed into my head. I remembered her saying that by having a charm, the gods would offer protection from disaster. I knew that I wouldn't be able to help Rin directly deal with her depression, but my brain jumped to the conclusion that the gods would be able to protect her. At the time, I thought it was a genius and flawless idea. 

"This color is really cute, isn't it? It totally suits you well Rin!" 

I didn't really know what kind of charm it was, since I only picked one based on the color. It was a mix of red and purple, basically a pastel pink. Almost as if she could see the gods before her, Rin took the charm with conviction. 

"With this, I'm sure I'll be alright." 

In her small hands laid that charm. 

"I'm sure this charm will definitely protect you Rin!" 

I gave her a carefree smile as I said that. For a short while, Rin just stared at the charm, though she started to grasp it tightly, as if she was handling some important treasure. She wrapped the charm on one of her hands and put it in front of her chest. Any hint of sadness had completely vanished as she gave me a smile as wide as the clear blue sky. 

"Thank you... so much." 

Her voice exuded so much happiness, and her pupils were gleaming so much. I was overjoyed and happy at what I accomplished, but mostly, I felt relieved. I had no idea of knowing how much of an impact this incident had on Rin, but since then, Rin's face was never cloudy again. 

At least, until our second year of middle school.
______
Translator's Note: Such a heartwarming chapter, honestly, the sweetness levels are off the charts.

Chapter 23

Chapter 25

Comments

  1. I started reading this series today, finished all the available chapters and went to have dinner, came back and there’s a new one, now, that’s a good feeling.Thanks for the chapter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 16: Web of Deceit

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 30

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 29