Forever and Always, My Childhood Friend is the Cutest Girl in the World Chapter 19: My Childhood Friend's Bamboo Shoot Rice

Chapter 19: My Childhood Friend's Bamboo Shoot Rice

Link to Original Chapter: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n5894gb/19/


"Alright, got the new chapter up." 

It's Monday morning and as usual, I'm in the living room. I finish uploading the new chapter and I take a sip of my black coffee. 

"Good job Onii." 

As always, Karen is stuffing her cheeks with honey toast as she gives me words of encouragement. 

"Thanks Karen. Today's chapter had some very sweet developments, like pouring caramel right into your mouth." 

"Is it just me, or if Onii doesn't write something sweet, he isn't satisfied?" 

"HA! HA! HA! Writing sweet stories is my specialty! If my work doesn't have any sweetness, how can I be proud of it!?” 

"Ah, pass the honey Onii." 

"You really aren't interested, are you?" 

As I pass the honey, Karen gives me a big warm smile, like that of the summer sun, as thanks." 

Ping 

The notification sound goes off on my laptop. 

"Oooooh!" 

"Is it Nira-san?" 

"Yep, it's like he's always on standby or something." 

"Today's chapter was interesting as well! Maika-san and Ryousuke-kun's sweet cohabitation really is the best. The scene where Maika-san would make bamboo shoot rice every night for Ryousuke-kun and relieve his stress really surprised me. Thanks so much Author!" 

"Ahh... I knew Nira-san would understand. He definitely picked up on the scene I wanted him to enjoy." 

"Onii, are your face muscles broken?" 

"At your age you wouldn't understand. Ah, what should I reply with. Hmm... Nira-san, I always appreciate the support. I'm glad you liked the bamboo shoot rice scene. In fact, bamboo shoots with rice is one of my favorite foods." 

"Onii, who would be interested in what kind of food you like?" 

"Will the insolent child who doesn't understand the beauty of bamboo shoots please be quiet." 

Speaking of which... 

Rin's special bamboo shoot rice really is a masterpiece. She had it the first day she made me a bento, and afterwards, I requested that every day since. I press the reply button and contrary to her usual self, Karen replies back. 

"But it really is amazing that Onii hasn't skipped a chapter and you've been updating daily." 

"That's weird. I don't think I ordered a rental imouto today." 

"You're mean Onii!" 

"Wh-what!? Karen is praising my novel... Onii-chan is so happy to wake up with so much syrup in his futon!" 

"Please don't get attached to syrup Onii, that would make me happy." 

"Don't crush my fantasy like that!" 

"Ishikawa-kun in my class keeps praising your work. There are so many web novels that stop updating that they die off, but Onii makes sure to update every day, it really is amazing."

"Please invite this Ishikawa kid over, Oni-chan will make sure to give me a special welcome.” 

I'll have to buy a turkey if that happens. 

"Well, I did make a promise to Rin. I'd make sure that no matter what, that I would become an author.” 

"Rin's influence sure is amazing." 

Karen gives me a face like those times she's reading those sugary shoujo manga. But Karen does have a point. It's all thanks to Rin that I've managed to keep writing a new chapter everyday. We made a promise together and I'll make sure to fulfill it. As I'm indulging in these sentimental emotions, Karen speaks up again, her tone unusually soft and kind. 

"But you know, lately it feels you've been enjoying writing more Onii." 

"Lately?" 

"You know, like you discovered a previous cheat from another world? Or you got a harem? You've always been writing, but compared to before, you seem as lively as a high performance car." 

"So basically I've found my element, but indirectly I've broken in some way?" 

Well, that could be the case... 

"Yeah, that sounds about right." 

I think back to before. Up until my previous work, the constant trend of putting out any novel that would be popular was something I was fascinated with. The most popular genre is definitely fantasy. Building up various cheats and harems was something I thought I'd continue writing. I changed the genre of my current work to a modern romance story and the result is that I'm having more fun than ever writing it. 

"Well at any rate, I won't stop writing at all until I reach my dream of getting published!" 

"That sounds pretty unhealthy." 

"'The risk of eating sweet plums' is the title, so of course precautions are necessary." 

Ding Dong 

The intercom starts ringing. The timing couldn't be any better. 

"Seems like your beloved Rin has arrived, Onii." 

"Come on, how many times do I have to tell you, she's not my beloved!" 

"Am I wrong though?" 

"Well... no." 

Lately, the physical and mental distance between Rin and I has shortened a lot. It feels like lately, my love for Rin has gotten a lot stronger. While Karen has been teasing me about it, I can't really deny it myself. I close my laptop, put it into my bag and hang it over my back. 

"Alright, let's get going." 

"Off we go." 

I leave the living room and slip on my shoes. I wonder what will be the menu for today's bento. Bamboo shoot rice would be nice, As I'm indulging myself in my colorful imagination, I open the entrance door with a clank.

_____
Translator's Note: Never had bamboo shoot rice, might have to try it out eventually.

Chapter 18

Chapter 20

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 16: Web of Deceit

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 30

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 29