Forever and Always, My Childhood Friend is the Cutest Girl in the World Chapter 13: My Childhood Friend's Invitation

Chapter 13: My Childhood Friend's Invitation 

Link to Original Chapter:  https://ncode.syosetu.com/n5894gb/13/


Rin and I are walking home from school. As we head to the nearest station from our school, I sense a change. Our physical distance is much shorter. This morning, there was about 15 cm between us, now only a fist can fit between us. 

"Say Rin..." 

"Oh no, the police are coming again to get you." 

"Again, what the hell are you saying?" 

Trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, Rin puts more distance between us. 

"It's just your imagination, pure accident! You're thinking way too much, it's just like over analyzing one page of a book. Or how about if I accidentally give a 10000 yen note to someone. Are you going to make a big deal about that?" 

"I can say that you sure are right now." 

After scratching my cheeks, I decide to spit out the words I've been hesitating to say. 

"I mean, it's fine, I don't really care." 

Rin looks at me, her face taking on a child-like expression. 

"Well, with you so close to me, it makes me pretty happy." 

I put some force into my words, hoping it will be effective. Having said that, it looks like Rin is making a display of thinking about what I just said. she then mutters quietly that she's pretty happy about the whole thing. 

Being as predictable as ever, Rin relaxes her mouth and draws near me again. Just like when a receives the toy they always wanted, the happiness coming from Rin is clearly evident. Once again, we're a fist length apart, and the feeling of happiness comes back again. 

And with that, simple question pops into my head. What the hell is up with her lately? 

Ever since three days ago when Rin suggested making a bento for me, she's been acting weird. In terms of our physical distance and our hug at lunch. Something has clearly been up with Rin. I feel like it's something on both a physical and mental level, but I'm not really sure. Are her actions just because of sheer mood? Even if I do find myself swaying that ways sometimes, I don't really think it's that simple. I don't think it's just a whim. Some part of her core foundation must have changed. 

Is it possible that is involved? I have to accept the possibility. If that were the case, I don't think I would be able to contain my happiness any longer. But on the other hand, my theory is pretty unlikely. There's two main reasons why. 

Firstly, Rin is a flawless beauty. There's no way she would ever have such a high opinion of me. Well, that could just be because of my low self-esteem talking. Our relationship is that of childhood friends, but that doesn't automatically mean that they will fall for each other. Besides... no, I probably stop thinking so pessimistically. 

Anyways, my selfish inner thoughts conflict with my inner belief that there is no that is true. No, it's more accurate to say that I've always believed that that would never happen. But if Rin keeps on constantly ignoring my miserable state of mind by shortening the distance between us, then it might be her way saying that she won't allow it anymore. 

"Hey Tohru-kun." 

"Hmm?" 

"Want to watch 'Tenki no Ko'?" 

"'Tenki no Ko'?" 

In an instant, I realize what she's getting at. It's the latest work by one of the top directors, Makoto Shinkai, whose previous work, "Kimi no Na wa", was a big phenomena and was a breakout success. The common consensus is that the story was beautiful and touching, and it made 10 billion yen at the box office. It really was a mega hit. I've been meaning to see it for a while since I'm also a creator of sorts and I want to watch something from the best of the best, but I never found the time. 

"Yeah, I don't mind, I haven't seen it yet anyways." 

"Sounds good, then want to go watch it this Saturday?" 

Wait... is this a date invitation? I unconsciously look at Rin. Rin is expressionless as always, looking straight ahead as she's walking. Her face is calm and composed, I can't find anything that would give away any ulterior motive. 

But I keep staring, and I notice that both her hands, that carrying her bag, are shaking. She's also blinking a lot more than usual and her cheeks are flushed red. No matter how you splice it, something definitely is up. This isn't the usual Rin and I can feel my suspicions brewing. 

Rin invited me on a date and that all it takes to make me happy, so I'm perfectly fine. I ask Rin the one lingering question I have on my mind. 

"Is your invitation... also on a whim?" 

Rin turns towards me and softly smiles. It's a smile that signals the warm spring sun upon a grassy plain after the rain. I've always loved that smile. With her well-developed lips, Rin opens her mouth and speaks without hesitation 

"Of course." 

It goes without saying that I immediately accept her invitation.

______
Translator’s Note: Short and sweet chapter. The whole reference to Makto Shinkai and his two films were initially “censored” in the original by slightly changing the names, but I decided to change it to the original since it’s pretty obvious what it was referring to in the first place.

Chapter 12

Chapter 14


Comments

  1. --- Thanks for the chapter~ ^^.

    I'd like more of those whims..!!
    And yes, nice to see the reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this capter,
    We always waiting for next chapter

    ~Ganbatte~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the chapter.

    The way the MC notices the small things is really nice and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weathering with you:- Your name 2 underwater boogaloo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 16: Web of Deceit

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 30

I'm sick and tired of my childhood friend's, now girlfriend, constant abuse so I broke up with her Chapter 29